We are celebrating Valentine’s Day this year with these gorgeous heart-shaped activated charcoal soaps. Not only are these soaps fun and a bit unconventional, but they are also great for your skin!
Activated charcoal has many health benefits for your skin. It cleans your skin deeply, detoxifying pores and balancing the oils in your skin. It soothes skin irritations and can even minimize pores. We think activated charcoal is a great natural tool to add to your skincare routine!
To make these heart-shaped soaps, you will need the following:
- Soap base blocks: We used two glycerin soap base blocks for this project. If you want to achieve a deep black color, be sure to use a base that is clear. If you want a lighter grey color, use an opaque soap base such as cocoa butter or goat milk.
- Food grade activated charcoal
- Essential oils for fragrance (1-2 teaspoons)
- Cosmetic grade glitter (if you like sparkles)
- Silicone heart-shaped mold: We used this mold from Amazon. If you use a mold made out of something other than silicone, make sure the mold you use is heat resistant.
Start by cutting the soap base blocks into cubes and melting it on the stove on medium heat in a small pan (or purchase one of these pour pots from our website). You can also melt the soap cubes in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. Melt in 30-second intervals and stir in between, continuing until fully liquid.
Once melted, remove from heat and add one heaping tablespoon of activated charcoal. Mix thoroughly. You should begin to see the color and texture become more consistent as the charcoal dissolves. Stir in the fragrance and glitter if desired. Pour the soap into your silicone mold and let it cool down to harden. To speed up this process, you can put the soap in your freezer for 20-30 minutes. However, we suggest letting it set for a few minutes until a skin starts to harden on the surface to make it safer to move into the freezer. Be sure to keep it level while it is cooling.
Remove soap from molds and enjoy!